Thursday, October 2, 2008

Cults,Religion and Mind Control


Laying in my bed Saturday morning being too lazy to get up, I turned my television on. I flipped through the channels searching for a good movie and found on E! True Hollywood Story a documentary on Cults,Religion and Mind Control. I stayed in bed and watched the documentary for an hour. I couldn't believe how in this century these horrible things were still happening. Living in America,the Cult leaders say they are free to worship any god. One specific story was about a 14 year old girl,Elissa Wall from Eldoraldo,Texas who was forced to "marry" her first cousin.The cult leader Warren Jeff held a secret wedding ceremony in a nearby motel room. Elissa said that she asked her cult leader if she could get out of marrying him because she knew it wasn't right,he refused to marry her off to anyone else. Elissa now 21 has freed herself from the cult and its leader to find her new life. How could anyone subject themselves to these horrific situations and think it is right? Elissa is one of hundreds from her religion to stand up for herself, seek help and realize that all of what she had learned to believe in was wrong. Elissa recently wrote a novel on her horrific experiences called "Stolen Innocence". I'm very eager to read this novel because I found the documentary incredibly interesting.

No comments: